Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Praying to Saints

Someone just asked me if I can tell them why catholics pray to saints. Well, I'll do my best!!

Do Catholics pray TO saints?
We pray with saints, not to them. Have you ever asked anyone to pray for you when you were having a hard time? Why did you choose to ask that person? You may have chosen someone you could trust, or someone who understood your problem, or someone who was close to God. Those are all reasons we ask saints to pray for us in times of trouble. Since saints led holy lives and are close to God in heaven, we feel that their prayers are particularly effective. Often we ask particular saints to pray for us if we feel they have a particular interest in our problem. For example, many people ask Saint Monica to pray for them if they have trouble with unanswered prayers, because Monica prayed for twenty years for her son to be converted. Finally her prayers were answered in a way she never dreamed of -- her son, Augustine, became a canonized saint and a Doctor of the Church. ~ Sourse: http://www.catholic.org/saints/faq.php

956 The intercession of the saints. "Being more closely united to Christ, those who dwell in heaven fix the whole Church more firmly in holiness. . . . They do not cease to intercede with the Father for us, as they proffer the merits which they acquired on earth through the one mediator between God and men, Christ Jesus. . . . So by their fraternal concern is our weakness greatly helped."

Do not weep, for I shall be more useful to you after my death and I shall help you then more effectively than during my life.
I want to spend my heaven in doing good on earth. ~Sourse:http://www.scborromeo.org/ccc/para/956.htm

I hope that some of this helps.

1 comment:

Aunt Laura said...

Thank you so much. You have answered the question that people always seem to ask me but i am never sure about how to answer.

Related Posts with Thumbnails