Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Reading Goal for 2010


I've never been a big reader and I always wished I were, so last year I decided to read books mostly for entertainment value, with story lines that weren't too challenging, and I think my plan worked.

Now I find that I enjoy sitting down to read a book, and I love that feeling. If I begin to read something now, that seems like it will NOT hold my interest for long, it seems easier to keep on reading, and then I'm usually hooked. I used to give up on books after the first or second chapters.

This year I read a lot of Wanda Brunstetter novels. Her books are very easy to read, but enjoyable all the same. My favorite read of the year was Trianon: A Novel of Royal France . If you have not read it, you should.

I've decided to challenge myself a bit more in 2010, so I came up with a reading plan. Here goes:

Political: 2 Books
Spiritual (saints, etc.): 4 Books
Apologetics: 1 Book
Historical: 1 Book
Read 4 Fun: 7 Books

The last category is already in my Amazon wish list, but I need help with the other four. If you could recommend a book or two I would greatly appreciate it.

Book List for 2009: **recommended

5 comments:

Marilyn said...

Too tired now - but this is fun - I am going to come back and make recommendations.

Batjacboy said...

OK, try these:

For spiritual/saints, read Trochu's biography of St. Bernadette--best biography I've ever read. If you like it, follow it up with his biography of St. John Vianney.

For history, Killer Angels, by Schaara. History of Gettysburg as a novel, but very accurate.

Politics: Liberty and Tyranny by Levin. Explains what's going on right now in relation to the original principles of the Founding Fathers.

Other political: Founding Brothers, by Ellis, about the Founders; and The Jefferson-Hemmings Myth, which destroys the argument Thomas Jefferson was involved with Sally Hemmings.

Hope that helps.

Marilyn said...

I never did get back to you...sorry.. Ok here are a few - I have either read or they are high on my to read list - feel to email me with any questions about any of them:

1.Life giving love - Kimberley Hahn
2.Happy are you poor - the simple life and spiritual freedom - Thomas Dubay
3.The Secret Diary of Elisabeth Leseur: The Woman Whose Goodness Changed Her Husband from Atheist to Priest
4.Splendor in the Ordinary - Your Home as a holy place - Thomas Howard
5. I believe in Love - Jean d'Elbee
6. Arms of Love - Carmen Marcoux
7. Surrender - Carmen Marcoux
8. A Philadelphia Catholic in King James Court - Martin de Porres Kennedy
9. Christy - Catherine Marshall
10. The Hiding Place - Corrie Ten Boom
11. God's Smuggler - Brother Andrew
12. I Dared to Call Him Father - Bilquis Sheik
12. Joni - Joni Erickson

Molly said...

Thank you Batjacboy & Marilyn for your suggestions. I have them all written down for easy referrence.

I hope I can make a BIG dent in this list.

Batjacboy, I have already started reading the bio on St. Bernardette and it's wonderful. I really like this authors writting style.

Dominic Mary said...

Sorry it's a bit late : but you might try 'The Mass & The Saints' by Thomas Crean OP, 'Why Go To Church' by Timothy Radcliffe OP, and 'Five for Sorrow, Ten for Joy' by J. Neville Ward for religion/apologetics.

You might also try 'An Infinity of Little Hours', but I've forgotten the author, sadly.

Related Posts with Thumbnails